Praise and approval
“My son is 2.5 years old. He is very sensitive to praise, but sometimes he simply demands it, even if he does not deserve it. He brings me a drawing that is drawn very poorly and wants me to praise him. How to be? ”
The children's psychologist Natalya Barlozhetskaya answers the questions of our readers.
Question "My son is 2.5 years old. How to be?"
Answer Children need praise! From the point of view of psychology, this is one of the best ways to support and reinforce a certain desired behavior. However, a child who is extolled to heaven will face brutal disappointment in the future.
1. A child who is overly praised develops external motivation. He tries only with the expectation of yet another familiar praise.
2. Develop intrinsic motivation. Teach your child to appreciate his efforts and enjoy the work he does. “Did you like it yourself?” I'm glad you like helping others! ”
3. Use praise instead of punishment and censure. Want to teach your child to sit quietly at the table? Praise him when he is doing well.
4. Praise and approval must be earned. You do not have to constantly praise the child, sometimes it is useful to add a spoonful of tar. If you are not satisfied with the quality of the work done (drawing or cleaning), praise the baby for his contribution, but note the quality: “You are smart, that you decided to give me a gift (drawing), but I know that you can do even better if you add a little color ".
5. Praise the baby in detail. It’s not worth saying: “You drew it well.” Say: "The house turned out beautifully, and the sun too."